Registered Charity No. 1070698

Last Updated 15/4/10

Home | About Us | Contact Us | Members | Shop | Services for Schools | Links

About our town

Journal Items

Researching the past

Museum Archives

Then and Now

Test your knowledge !

FAQs

Personal Histories

Kids Quiz

Gallery

Pubs of Sittingbourne villages
Do you have any information or updates on the history of any of the pubs in the town ?

The List on the right is a list of public houses believed to be open in villages around Sittingbourne and Milton in 1908.  The list is by no means complete, but we hope to change that, and to publish their current status (or fate).

Any trivia or photographs would be welcome !

town pubs

The Fox & Goose, Bapchild

The Key, Key Street

The Royal Oak, Key Street

The British Queen, Key Street

The Olive Branch, Borden

The Ferry Inn, Elmley

The Maypole, Borden

The Sun Inn, Bredgar

The Blacksmiths Arms, Wormshill

The Kingsdown Arms, Frinsted

The Plough & Harrow, Oad Street

The Harrow, Stockbury

The Red Lion, Milsted

The Black Lion, Lynsted

The Woolpack, Iwade

 

 
 
Name in 1908 Location Status in 2004

The British Queen

The Olive Branch

The Sun Inn

The Blacksmiths Arms

The Plough & Harrow

The Harrow

Key Street (orig.Tanners Arms)

Borden

Bredgar

Wormshill

Oad Street, Borden

Stockbury

The Long Hop

closed

still open

still open

still open

still open

  The Fox & Goose Bapchild

1891 directory lists keeper as Richard Trice

still open
  The Maypole Borden

1891 directory lists keeper as Zapola George

still open

  The Fruiterers Arms

Rodmersham

1891 directory lists keeper as W. Cot

still open
 The Kingsdown Arms  Frinsted

1891 directory lists keeper as James Passmore

closed 1990s, private dwelling
The Key Inn Key Street, Bobbing

1891 directory lists keeper as Charles Bradley

The Key, Key Street, now demolished and under the roundabout !

 

The Royal Oak Key Street, Chestnut Street, Bobbing

1891 directory lists keeper as James Feakins

open as The Tudor Rose
The Rose & Crown Hartlip

1891 directory lists keeper as Thomas Kitchingham

Sitll Open
The Woolpack Iwade

1891 directory lists keeper as Frank Chapman

Still Open
The Black Lion Lynsted

1891 directory lists keeper as Henry Smith

Still Open
Fox and Hounds Lynsted

1891 directory lists keeper as Robert Gardner

Closed
The Red Lion Milstead

1891 directory lists keeper as Miss Mary Trice

Still open
The Halfway House Bobbing

1891 directory lists keeper as Thomas Robins

open as the Dancing Dog Saloon
     
The Ferry Inn, at Elmley, Murston  demolished early 1960s
Top                                                                 (C) 2009 Sittingbourne Heritage Museum